Wednesday, 15 February 2012

York Del Monte closure looks certain, says union

FEARS are growing for 140 food factory jobs in York, after union leaders warned its closure now looked inevitable. Staff at Del Monte at Skelton Park on Shipton Road have been told the factory will probably close on April 23, union representatives said tonight. Sam Vickers, regional organising secretary of the Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union, met company management today, but he said the meeting was not constructive and brought little hope. He said: “I am negotiating for best terms but I do not think there is a cat in hell’s chance of saving it and I do not think they’re interested in saving it.” He said about 130 to 140 workers were employed at the factory, which makes salads and coleslaws for retailers. He said the firm also took on a lot of agency staff at busy times. The firm is understood to have lost a contract with Morrisons, and although it is pursuing new business with Asda, Mr Vickers said the future looked bleak. He said the factory was due to close on April 23 unless the firm could land a deal with Asda, but also said: “It looks as though Asda will still not make it viable.” Mr Vickers’s union represents around 11 members of staff at the factory, which was bought by Fresh Del Monte in 2003 after it went into administration under its previous owners, Fisher Foods. Closure under Del Monte was rumoured previously, in 2005, but management then vehemently denied the claims, and said they were planning further investment. The Press has tried to contact Del Monte this evening for comment, but has been unable to do so. When contacted previously in relation to the possible closure, the firm declined to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment