Monday, 16 May 2011

Narrow escape for driver on Wigginton Road level crossing

THIS driver had a lucky escape after becoming trapped on a York level crossing moments before a high-speed train sped past only feet from the vehicle.
The near-miss at the crossing in Wigginton Road near the Nestlé factory was captured on camera by Press reader Dave Welbeck.
Mr Welbeck said he believed the motorist stopped at the flashing light, but may not have realised he was on the wrong side of the barrier until it was too late.
The Wigginton Road crossing featured in The Press last year after the barrier came down on the roof of a lorry which had not stopped at the flashing lights.
Clifton councillors said it may now be time for Network Rail to assess safety at the site.
Mr Welbeck, of Heworth, who runs a haulage company in York, was heading in the direction of York city centre when he witnessed the incident.
He said: “I don’t know whether he didn’t see the lights or wasn’t concentrating.
“He went through, realised what had happened, obviously stopped and reversed but of course the barrier had come down.” He said he did not think the driver had done anything wrong. “I only saw an amber light on the level crossing then the barrier came down. The problem is clearly theirs and not the driver’s. There’s a problem at the site.”
In 2006 the crossing was highlighted as one of the worst in Yorkshire for drivers risking their lives by dodging the lights and driving over the tracks, although it is not known if this was the cause of Thursday night’s incident.
Clifton ward Councillor, Ken King, said when the lights were on amber, drivers must stop.
However, he said: “It’s no good them (the barriers) coming down when the lights are on amber. Maybe that’s something they should look at. There’s some safety issue there and it needs looking at.”
Fellow Clifton councillor David Scott said: “There’s a change of speed limit and there’s a bend and there’s Nestlé coming up in your sightline. Maybe it’s just too many distractions.”
It is understood the barrier gives drivers a maximum of 15 seconds from the lights beginning to flash amber, to the barriers coming down.
The incident comes as Network Rail is looking at ways of reducing the number of level crossings throughout the UK.
A Network Rail spokesman said the incident served as a “stark warning and reminder to all drivers they must observe the safety warnings at level crossings”. The company said it was aware some drivers were entering the “yellow box” before their exit was clear – risking becoming trapped if the barriers are activated. It also said the crossing, along with all others in the UK, were regularly safety checked by Network Rail and ORR, the independent rail regulator.
Vicki Smith, community safety manager for Network Rail, said: “Any misuse of level crossings is incredibly dangerous. “I hope this picture helps to remind people to use crossings safely. I understand that waiting can be frustrating, but warnings including lights and barriers are there to protect the public from an incredibly busy rail network. We urge people to obey the warnings and not risk their lives or cause costly delays to the network.”

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Family of heart patient Emma Mallett, 13, fight to save Leeds heart unit

A YOUNG heart surgery patient who underwent a life-saving operation will today celebrate becoming a teenager – as the service that saved her hangs in the balance.
As Emma Mallett, a chorister at York Minster, turns 13, her father, Simon, has joined other parents to demand that the NHS scraps a plan to move children’s heart surgery services from Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) to Newcastle.
Mr Mallett said: “I know from personal experience how important it is to have a unit close to where you live,” he said.
“To have to travel to an unfamiliar city, miles away from home would only have added to the stress.
“It would also have been impossible for family members to have supported Emma during her surgery.”
Emma, a pupil at the Minster School, was diagnosed with a serious defect of the aorta at the age of six and was rushed to LGI the next day for life-saving surgery to correct the problem. “It was definitely life-threatening,” said Mr Mallett.
“If it hadn’t been picked up, she probably wouldn’t be around.”
He said: “Her surgery was just procedure and she was out a day later.
“But if it’s an emergency, you are going to be in that ward a long time.
“Children should be able to be treated, in life saving situations, in a hospital close to their home.”
Mr Mallett, a barrister and former Conservative parliamentary candidate for York, said: “A five or six-hour round trip for family members to visit, either before or after surgery, would have been impracticable.”
The NHS Safe and Sustainable review proposes a major overhaul of paediatric heart surgery services in the UK, with more surgeons, expertise and facilities concentrated in fewer centres.
However, three out of four of the proposals for our region would see surgery services moved from LGI to Newcastle.
Seeking views over heart unit’s future
PUBLIC consultation meetings on the future of the region’s children’s heart unit at Leeds General Infirmary are to be held today.
The consultation has been organised by the Safe And Sustainable review, which has proposed moving children’s heart surgery services from Leeds to Newcastle, in a move it says will provide better quality standards. Two sessions will take place at Savile Hall, next to the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds, at 3pm and 6pm.
Professor Roger Boyle, national director for heart disease and stroke, who is on the review panel, and Professor Martin Elliott, of the British Congenital Cardiac Association, who is also a consultant paediatric cardiac surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital, will both be present at the meetings.
A session for young people affected by heart illness to give their views on the future of surgery services in the region is due to take place at The Royal York Hotel, on Saturday, May 14 from 11am to 1pm.