Thursday, 28 April 2011

Asbestos to be removed from 100 York homes (From York Press)

Asbestos to be removed from 100 York homes (From York Press): "Thursday, 28 April 2011
Mobile siteNews feed E-NewslettersSite mapRegisterSign inAsbestos to be removed from 100 York homes (From York Press)
Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»Search:
News
Sport
Leisure
Info
Photos
Video
Tourism
Holidays"

Friday, 15 April 2011

Jury out in Melsonby murder trial

THE jury in the trial of sub-postmaster Robin Garbutt has been told to consider whether he killed his wife and then hid the murder weapon in the “dead of night”.

The eight men and four women spent more than two-and-a-half hours deliberating yesterday afternoon before being sent home. Mr Justice Openshaw asked the jury to return at 10am on Monday to again consider its verdict.

Garbutt denies murdering his 40-year-old wife, Diana, in the living quarters of The Village Shop and Post Office, in Melsonby, near Richmond, on March 23 last year.

The judge told the jury they must consider all the evidence they had heard during the previous 17 days.

He said: “You must reach, if you can, a unanimous verdict – that is to say a verdict which you are all agreed on, one way or another.”

Earlier the judge summed up the evidence from the trial.

He told the jury: “He (prosecutor David Hatton QC) suggests that the bar was put on the wall by the defendant in the dead of night after he had murdered his wife.

“These are the serious issues which you will have to consider.”

The judge said he would decide when, if at all, a majority verdict would be acceptable.

He advised the jury to appoint a foreman to lead the examination of the evidence and to give the verdict.

The legal teams and Garbutt were called back into court about an hour after retiring when the jury submitted a question.

Members asked if they could have the statement to police of Melsonby resident Brian Hird, who had been called as a witness by the defence.

He told the court earlier in the trial he heard a woman’s voice call out “Robin” on the morning of the murder at about 6.45am.

He said Garbutt responded by saying “yes Di” or “yes dear”.

Prosecutors claim Garbutt beat his wife to death with an iron bar and then faked a robbery to cover up his crime.

The trial continues.

Thursday, 14 April 2011

York success story ioko sold for £50 million

IOKO 365, the York business behind online video services for the likes of BBC iPlayer and Channel4 OD, has agreed to be bought for a net consideration of almost £50 million.

The £33 million-turnover ioko, which employs up to 250 people at York Science Park, said it is hoping to expand its international reach when it is bought by global company KIT Digital.

The business said the development of more video-enabled devices, such as the iPad and innovations in mobile, connected TV and set-top box technology, presented a major business opportunity for the two companies as broadcasters all over the world innovate to manage their content.

Allan Dunn, finance director of ioko, said nothing would change within the business but the deal would enable ioko to take up more opportunities internationally.

“There’s a continued demand for ioko’s services in all corners of the globe,” he said.

“We realised we were missing out on opportunities because we have not got the ability to go after all of them.”

He said the company would retain the name ioko and it would create further opportunities for staff.

“We have no intentions to change anything at all in the business. But it gives the staff a fantastic opportunity to work on a global basis and it’s been very positively received.”

Ioko was started at York Science Park in 1995 by David Griffiths and Mark Christie with £100,000 of private investment. It now employs about 380 people in offices in San Diego, London, York, Malaga and Sydney.

The acquisition values ioko at about £65.9 million in cash and shares, including deferred performance-based payments over two and a half years, although it will not pay so much up front because of about £17.2 million of cash and working capital expected to be included in ioko’s balance sheet.

KIT Digital, headquartered in Prague, employs 750 people in 25 offices around the world.

KIT also agreed to purchase Milan-based Polymedia in March and it said it expected the two acquisitions to boost its revenues in 2011 to £210 million, 98 per cent higher than in 2010.

Michelle Howe, 50, survives six brain operations

A SUPERMARKET worker from York says she is lucky to be alive, after she needed six life-threatening brain operations in 11 months.

Michelle Howe, 50, of Rawcliffe, was diagnosed with a brain tumour at York’s Nuffield Hospital after returning home from a holiday in Turkey suffering from severe headaches.

Doctors removed a two-inch tumour from Michelle’s brain, but she suffered a number of complications after the operation and had to undergo a further five gruelling operations.

One of Michelle’s doctors said he hopes to use her as a medical case study, as it is so rare to have the string of complications she suffered.

A final procedure to remove and replace a four square inch part of her skull was successfully carried out three weeks ago.

Michelle, the personnel manager at Morrison’s in Foss Islands Road, said: “What has happened is unlucky, but I feel extremely lucky I am still here.

“I am so thankful to my husband and all of my friends who have been so supportive.

“Being in hospital made me realise that there is always someone worse off than yourself.

“It has been life changing in respect of the priorities I now have in my life.”

After being diagnosed with a large benign brain tumour in York, the tumour was removed by specialist doctors in Hull Royal Infirmary in May 2010.

But Michelle had to be rushed into surgery again when a blood clot was discovered.

She then suffered an epileptic fit and doctors found fluid on her brain resulting in two further procedures.

To treat Michelle, doctors removed a section of her skull and then replaced it with a bone substitute imported from Italy.

She is now recovering from her operations at the home she shares with husband Mark, 48, in Rawcliffe Croft.

She said: “All the time I have been in Hull Hospital they have been so patient and supportive.

“They are so good at treating people as individuals particularly on Ward 4 and Ward 40. I would like to express my gratitude to Mr O’Reilly my neurosurgeon and to my employers.”

Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Biker killed in tractor crash near York

A BIKER has been killed in a crash with a tractor near York today.

The 41-year-old Selby man, who has not yet been named by police, was riding a grey Suzuki bike when he was in collision with a tractor at Greengales Lane, Elvington, at about 11.05am.

Traffic Constable Yvonne Taylor, of North Yorkshire Police’s Road Policing Group, said the biker had been travelling with another motorcycle before the accident, and was pronounced dead at the scene, outside Raker Lakes.

The driver of the tractor, a 60-year-old local man, was uninjured.

The road was closed in both directions until 3.10pm, to allow police to investigate.

Monday, 4 April 2011

River victim Paul Rogerson fell off bridge parapet

A TRAINEE accountant was balancing on the parapet of Ouse Bridge when he fell in the river, an inquest has heard.

Paul Alan Rogerson, 26, of Arthur Street, York, had been on a night out when he jumped on to Ouse Bridge and began to walk along it. But the Aviva worker lost his footing and fell into the river, an inquest heard.

Police tried to throw ropes in to Mr Rogerson but he struggled to stay afloat and went beneath the surface several minutes later.

His body was found hours afterwards, the court heard.

Coroner Donald Coverdale said: “He was out on a night out and had consumed a quantity of alcohol when he was seen to jump on to the Ouse Bridge wall at Kings Staith. He was seen to attempt to walk along the wall but lost his footing and fell into the Ouse.” A post-mortem examination found that Mr Rogerson had drowned.

Mr Rogerson, who was a single man originally from Morecambe, was identified by his mother Karen, the court heard. He had moved to York in 2008.

Colleagues say he moved to the unit pricing team last year. The tragedy happened at about 2am on March 26 when witnesses saw Mr Rogerson slip from the bridge into the river. The fall sparked a search involving a police helicopter from West Yorkshire, an underwater diving team and fire service rescue boats.

In a joint statement, his colleagues at Aviva said: “Paul was a well-liked, fun-loving guy. His infectious personality touched everyone he met.

“He was a much-respected colleague and friend to so many in the unit pricing team. He will be sorely missed.”

He leaves parents, Alan and Karen, brothers David and Daniel and sister Nikita.

Friday, 1 April 2011

Strong winds bring disruption to York roads and train services

SUDDEN strong winds have hit the region this afternoon bringing down trees and causing disruption.

Beckfield Lane in York is currently closed at its junction with Boroughbridge Road as council workmen remove a tree which has fallen across the road.

Police say a tree which was brought down in Shipton Road this morning has now been cleared.

A car was also slightly damaged in the Clifton area after a road sign blew free from road works.

Meanwhile train services between York and Darlington are currently experiencing delays of up to an hour due to overhead wire problems and objects on the track.